We’re glad that you follow us to this final part of our series to find the perfect wedding photographer. You’ve done a lot. Now, it is the most exciting part of all: interview them.
The interview is a chance to make a personal connection to each other, to understand each other at much deeper level. There are two aspects you have to learn about the photographers: business and personality. We will show you how to get a good understanding of those two:
You should know what you can expect, how their skills can apply to your wedding, and how they can fulfill your needs.
- Start with a standard questionnaire. Look for questionnaire #1 in this post.
- Ask to see an album of an actual wedding (you should ask them prior to your meeting so they can bring one). Although it’s good if you can look at some highlight photos or full wedding on their website, when technologies change, an album is what you and your family will keep for many years. Get an idea of how your wedding photos will be like 20 years from now.
- Ask to see a sample contract. It is crucial to understand the contract thoroughly to set the right expectation.
You might ask “What personality has anything to do with this?” Check out Part 1- Research, we explained why personality matters.
- Start with a genuine interest that you want to know them. The photographers have much more to say than their website, but they only say when they feel your true interest.
- Standard questionnaire (this is different than the one above). Look for questionnaire #2. Try to make it like a conversation between friends than an interview between client and vendor. Share your story and let them share theirs. It’s more interesting that way.
- Give them a scenario that you think will happen at your wedding and ask what they would do about it. For example: “Some of my family members love to have their photos taken. What if they want to pull you away from us to take photos, what would you do?”
Remember: wedding photographer is a person too.
The better you connect with the photographer, the better your photos will turn out, and the better your experience will be.
If you believe they are the one, book him/her as soon as you can. These are the reasons why we strongly advise you to book your wedding photographer early.
Good luck to you!